Mouth burns in dogs

Electrical burns of the mouth are caused by chewing on electric cords (see Electric Shock). Most dogs heal spontaneously, but in some cases a grayish ulcer develops at the site of the burn. The ulcer may need to be surgically removed.

Chemical burns of the mouth are common. They are caused by licking a corrosive substance such as lye, phenol, phosphorus, household cleaners, or alkalis. If the dog swallows the chemical, her esophagus or stomach may also be burned.

Treatment: For emergency treatment of oral chemical burns, sponge and rinse the mouth with copious amounts of tap water. Then transport the dog as quickly as possible to the nearest veterinary clinic for treatment of poisoning. If there must be a delay, follow the instructions for Corrosive Household Products. The aftercare for burns of the mouth is the same as that described on this page for stomatitis.