Corrosive Household Products and dogs

Corrosive and caustic chemicals (acids and alkalis) are found in household cleaners, toilet bowl cleaners, dishwasher detergents, anti-rust compounds, alkaline batteries, drain decloggers, and commercial solvents. When ingested, they cause burns of the mouth, esophagus, and stomach. Severe cases cause perforations of the stomach and strictures of the esophagus, which may develop over time due to the tissue damage. Treatment: Do not induce vomiting. Vomiting can result in rupture of the stomach and burns of the esophagus. Rinse the dog’s mouth immediately after contact and take him as quickly as possible to the nearest veterinary clinic. If you can’t get to the vet very quickly, give the dog water or milk (30 ml per 6 pounds or 2.7 kg of body weight) by plastic syringe to dilute the acid or alkali in the stomach. The practice of giving an acid to neutralize an alkali and vice versa is no longer recommended, because it causes heat injury to the tissues. With topical exposure, flush the area with water for 30 minutes.

comments